We are committed to the long-term goal of improving English learners’ and dual-language learners’ educational outcomes in Topeka Public Schools through programming around five target areas:
- To increase the use of evidence-based math and literacy instruction among teachers serving secondary ELs and DLs;
- To strengthen families’ engagement in biliteracy development;
- To establish a districtwide pathway program to increase the number of students who complete the Kansas Seal of Biliteracy credential;
- To increase teachers’ capacity to instruct ELs and DLs utilizing evidence-based pedagogies; and
- To improve paraeducators’ knowledge of best practices for supporting ELs’ and DLs’ literacy development.
Current TPS educators with a teaching license but no ESOL endorsement are eligible to apply for sponsored graduate coursework. Accepted applicants must be employed by TPS and maintain adequate academic progress throughout the entirety of the three-semester sequence.